Every student in the Academy is encouraged to read in every tutor group using the Accelerated Reader Program. Accelerated Reader (AR) is one of the most popular and successful reading software products available. AR’s advanced technology helps to:
- Make essential reading practice more effective for every student.
- Personalize reading practice to each student’s current level.
- Manage all reading activities including read to, read with, and read independently.
- Assess students’ reading with four types of quizzes: Reading Practice, Vocabulary Practice, Literacy Skills, and Textbook Quizzes.
- Build a lifelong love of reading and learning.
UCA was named one of the "Most Improved Schools and Academies" in the UK and placed in the top 7% for Contextual Value Added scores in 2010
In 2007, literacy levels at Unity City Academy were very low. Initial STAR Reading baseline assessment revealed that an average of 80% of the pupils were at least one year below their chronological reading age. Since the introduction of Accelerated Reader four years ago, the reading age of pupils has increased in Years 7, 8, 9 and 10, whilst KS4 attainment levels have also consistently improved. See the Accelerated Reader/UCA Case study for more details about this program. To access the program click here.